Friday 15 April 2011

Going Mobile Quickly

It was in 2001 when we all excitedly gathered around Rob to check out this new fancy app running on a pearly green Nokia 7110. (If you're younger than 18, look away now!) He suavely extended his arm and flicked out the slider screen. We were sold. We had no clue where he got the phone from, and were too afraid to ask. Estimates were put at around a million bucks. The app was a text based menu and he was able to interrogate a test ticketing system and browse through movies and book the latest blockbuster. Get out of here. We checked his sleeves for wires but there were none.



We were amazed, the future had finally arrived...

10 years later, we don't call it a cellphone, we call it a "mobile device", we dress it up in fancy clothes, and if we could feed it, we would. From its five functions in the mid 90s (phone, sms, voicemail, alarm, snakes) - mobile devices now can do in excess of a million things!

We no longer call it mobility, we call it life, we call it indispensable, we see it and use it everywhere and has become integrated into the fabric of society.

End of Part 1

What are the last five things you did with your phone in the last 24 hours?

Me: I checked my mail, it woke me up this morning, I peeked at Facebook, I checked my calendar, I made a call.

1 comment:

  1. First welcome to the world of blogging, second I have not used it as a phone as yet this morning but I got a couple of SMS then whent on to check my mail, my diary, my to do list. Received messages from Facebook, Foursquare and Twitter.
    Mobile devices are no longer just phones they are comunication hubs that, as you say, we can no longer do without. For better or worst.

    ReplyDelete